UNMATCHED SKILL SET
SUSD is a big operation---22,000 students, 3000+ employees, 29 facilities, and a $480 MIL budget. Governing a large-scale enterprise such as SUSD requires MANY skills, from overseeing curriculum to strategic planning, to in-depth financial analysis, to contracts and real-estate management. It's not limited to one issue. See "SUSD Issues" for more details.
Right now parental rights is the hot-button issue. Without question IT IS A CRITICAL ISSUE which must be addressed by the Governing Board, because incidents have occurred within SUSD. But it's important to be aware that parental rights and transparency is just one part of the total job required of a Governing Board member. Ask yourself, "Who has the skill set and experience to address the entire spectrum of areas that the Board manages?" "Who has the necessary experience in actually managing large-scale enterprises?"
- Both significant education AND business experience
- Strong finance, strategic planning, marketing, and project management skills
- Leadership of multi-disciplinary teams; accountable for achieving measurable results
- Creating community partnerships to support schools
- Highly analytical; data-based decision-making
- Passionate about helping young people find their purpose, build their strengths, and maximize their potential
- Experienced with all demographics from homeless children to the most affluent; gifted students to those with special needs
- Excellent nurturer of young people
- Proven leader of several successful city-wide projects