Nearly 30 years in large corporate and entrepreneurial organizations.
- Initially a banker, where I learned in-depth financial analysis necessary to make $30 MIL loans.
- Director of Marketing for start-up company that developed the patented “Telestrator” technology, leading up to its initial public offering.
- Brand manager responsible for $100MIL-$300MIL businesses such as Parkay® Margarine, Lender’s® Bagels, Celestial Seasonings® Tea and others for Kraft Foods and The NutraSweet Company.
- Founder of two entrepreneurial companies with innovative product offerings in their respective industries.
Beyond all the typical PTO/Booster Club activities, I have nearly 30 years experience as an educational entrepreneur; provider of academic enrichment programs; creator of community partnerships to support schools; Board member for non-profits supporting under-resourced youth; and mentor to at-risk youth.
- Educational entrepreneur. Founded business (2011) that provides curriculum and personal coaching to help 7th-12th graders achieve long-term happiness and success by finding their passion, building their strengths, and executing a personalized roadmap to the future they desire. Over 1000 students in the Phoenix area have participated in our program. See https://www.dreamroads.com/ for more information.
- Gifted and Special Ed experience
- Have a son who is gifted
- Have a granddaughter who has autism
- 8 years at T. J. Pappas Schools whose entire enrollment consisted of homeless children.
- Authored the strategic plan for a new non-profit to attract community partners to provide academic enrichment programs such as Fantasy Baseball Math, Where's Waldo? Geography, etc. to Pappas Schools.
- Created a partnership between an upscale middle school and Pappas providing up to 7 joint academic, cultural, athletic and social events for as many as 400 students every year.
- In-depth understanding of the physical, emotional, cultural, and academic challenges facing homeless students and their families
- 7 years as Board Member for Boys Hope Girls Hope of Arizona, providing holistic residential and commuter programs with top-tier education opportunities for at-risk students. Responsible for oversight of all programming operations including enhancement of program offerings, expansion of the after-school program, stronger parent outreach, enhanced recruiting from local schools, and tightening and standardization of school admissions criteria.
- Arizona Business and Education Coalition. A statewide collaboration between business and education leaders with the goal of creating a superior public education system in Arizona.
- Mentored more under-resourced, Hispanic, and African-American students than I can count! See Markus and Me for one such story.
- Recipient of two District awards for distinguished volunteer service
- Picture Lady, Junior Great Books, Literature Circle Moderator, Parent-Child Book Club, Room Mother and Field Trip Chaperone. Chaired Senior Prom for 150 homeless teens and their dates. Mother-Son Communion Breakfasts, Mom Proms, Mothers Guild Retreats, Senior Treat Days, and Booster Club activities.
SCOTTSDALE LEADERSHIP ROLES
- Member of the founding leadership teams for two significant Scottsdale endeavors:
- Protect Our Preserve/Prop 420, preventing commercial development in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve
- City Council Election 2020, changing the majority on the Council from one beholden to developers to one intended to promote thoughtful, not unconstrained, growth